If Coron is still not on your bucket list, you are making a big mistake. After all, the breathtakingly beautiful island is sure to blow your mind with its stunning views and clear blue waters along pristine white beaches.
Here is a complete guide for those who have little clue about Coron.
Where is Coron?
Coron is part of Palawan Island and one of the four towns that make the Calamian Group of Islands. There are 51 islands and islets in Calamianes that is home to enchanting lakes and sacred cultural sites. It is the first-class municipality in Palawan province of Philippines.
How to reach Coron?
The Coron island is easily accessible via boat or direct flight from El Nido and Manila. One can take a direct flight to arrive at Busuanga Airport, and from there it is half an hour drive to Coron. There are fast ferry El Nido to Coron services that take about 5 hours.
Where to stay?
There are plenty of hotels in Coron that suit every kind of budget and travelers. One should look for the lodging options in the main town, or they would be far away from the beaches. It is a good idea to buy a SIM card because of the limited WiFi in the town. Vela Hotel and Fat Monkey Hostel are popular among the tourists.
What to do and see?
Coron boasts of jaw-dropping limestone formations and white beaches with clear jade-green waters. The small town is used majorly as a port for island hopping tours. There is plenty to do and see here, and the major highlights are as follows:
- Island hopping tours – Explore the stunning islands nearby, and you can take private or shared boat tours. You can plan a great day trip and visit major attractions like Banol Beach, Barracuda Lake, Twin Lagoon, and Kayangan Lake. Start your tour very early to avoid the crowds.
- Explore local markets-n another interesting activity is to explore Coron market and shop for local fresh produce or enjoy lunch prepared by the boat staff. It is a good idea to have a heart breakfast in the local market before you start your day.
- Visit Twin Lagoon – The Twin Lagoon in Coron can be reached via a hike between cliffs. It is the large lagoon in the Philippines, and one can even snorkel along the cliff to take a look at the wonderful underwater life.
- A trip to Kayangan Lake – Another must-visit spot in Coron is Kayangan Lake which is well famous as the clearest lake in the whole of Philippines. This is because the lake is taken care of by a group of Filipinos. Enjoy the amazing views of the boat docks on the lake.
- The fantastic Banol Beach – Banol Beach is well known for its crystal-clear waters and white sandy beaches. It is a perfect beach to spend a relaxing day with your family and friends. Swim in the clear waters and sunbathe on one of the most spectacular beaches of Coron.
- Snorkel in Barracuda Lake – Dive into the clear blue waters of the Barracuda Lake, and one can see the entire limestone cliff all the way down when. Snorkeling is highly recommended here and do not forget to bring flippers.
- Hike Mt. Tapyas – Another favorite activity is hiking Mt. Tapyas, and those 750 steps lead uphill and take you to the letters saying ‘CORON.’ From the top, you can take in a splendid view of the island and the surrounding bay.
- Enjoy dinner at Altrove – If you are looking for a good restaurant in Coron, head straight for Altrove. Here, you can enjoy some delicious pizzas and a great meal every day. Arrive early to avoid the long line of people waiting to go inside.