Which of the Airports in Kerala should I use for my holiday?
Thousands of travelers flock to Kerala annually. People love it for its beautiful backwaters and beaches. It is connected with the rest of India and other parts of the world by rail, road and air.
As far as air transportation is concerned, Kerala has four international airports. They all provide top-notch services. Yet all these airports are continuously trying to upgrade their facilities so that they can cater world-class services to travellers. Surprisingly enough, in the entire India, Kerala is the only state where there are four airports in Kerala. The airports are:
- Cochin International Airport
- Calicut International Airport
- Kannur International Airport
- Thiruvananthapuram International Airport
Cochin International Airport
Have you ever heard of an airport which is operated by solar power alone?
Yes, the demand of electricity required for Cochin International Airport is being met by a solar plant. Again, it is India’s first airport built under a public-private partnership.
Cochin International Airport is used both for domestic and international flights. Cochin International Airport is situated at Nedumbassery.
The international terminal has an area of about 15 lakh square feet. It is the largest one in Kerala. On the other hand, the domestic terminal measures about 6 lakh square feet. Both the terminals are fully air-conditioned and equipped with adequate car parking facilities.
In 2018, the airport won ‘The Champions of the Earth award’. It is given for showing care and concern for the environment. Moreover, the Air Passengers Association of India has also recognized Cochin International Airport as the best non-metro airport in India.
It is well connected with destinations like Colombo, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Muscat, Jeddah, Doha, Riyadh, Dammam, etc.
- There are three terminals. All of them display accurate sign plates giving directions to passengers. You can also approach tourist information counters for necessary information and guidance. In these counters, you can know about your missing belongings.
- You will see passenger baggage trolleys which are free. Besides, there are public telephone booths.
- If you are travelling with infants, old people, handicapped or minors you can use free porterage service.
- Drinking water is available.
- Medical facilities are also available.
- Good quality reading materials are available for you to pass your time.
- You can also indulge yourself in shopping in duty-free shops. These shops provide a wide range of products and souvenirs that represent India. Cochin International Airport Authority of India owns and runs the duty-free shops.
Nearby Hotels: Quality Airport Hotel, Lotus 8, Sapphire Inn, Courtyard By Marriott and Abad Airport Hotel
Calicut International Airport (CCJ)
Calicut International Airport is popularly known as Karipur Airport. The airport has been in operation since 13 April, 1988. It is located at a distance of about 28 kilometers away from Kozhikode and 25 km from Malappuram. There are two terminals in this airport. You can catch flights of various airways, namely Qatar Airways, Etihad Airways, Air Arabia, JetKonnect, RAK Airways, Bahrain Air, Oman Air, etc. International destinations like Dubai, Muscat, Kuwait, Doha, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain can be connected through Calicut International Airport.
- There is a child-care room and meditation room.
- ATM booths and currency exchange services are available.
- Wheelchairs are available.
- You can buy food from cafes and restaurants.
- There is a separate executive lounge.
Nearby Hotels: Nuhman Tourist Home, Pushpak Hotel, Hotel Afrad International, Park Residency, Zahir Residency and Le Moshe Inn.
Kannur International Airport (CNN)
Kannur International Airport is a full-fledged airport. Besides, it has a unit or base where helicopters are manufactured. However, this manufacturing unit is owned and operated by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). As a result, this Airport has an aircraft overhaul unit, MRO facility, repair and maintenance.
It is located in Mattanur in the northern district of Kerala. Kannur International Airport is named after the Kannur district. It was commissioned on 9 December, 2018.
Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL) controls all the operations of this airport. There is an integrated passenger terminal. Moreover, a terminal complex is dedicated to handle cargo. Kannur International Airport has an area of about 1,040,000 sq ft. During peak hours, Kannur International Airport can handle 2000 passengers. The building is exceptional with the double skin aluminum roofing system and LED lighting.
- Kannur International Airport has got 32 immigration counters, six aerobridges with 48 check-in counters and 16 customs counters.
- There are four conveyor belts and access control. Moreover, passengers can use the swing facility.
- Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy and Technology will build an aviation academy to teach students flight training and courses on aeronautics.
- Furthermore, an Indian Navy enclave will be built at the airport.
Nearby Hotels: Aroma Resort Mattanur, Hotel Sky Park, Vintage Residency, Kairali Heritage, Central Avenue and Green Park Residency
Thriuvananthapuram International Airport (TRV)
Thriuvananthapuram International Airport operates as a base of Coast Guard and military operations. It is more known as a pilot training center.
Thriuvananthapuram International Airport was built in 1932. It is the first ever airport of Kerala. Colonel Goda Varma Raja established it. The airport is named after Thriuvananthapuram, the capital of Kerala.
There are two terminals at this airport-one for domestic and the other for international flights. The domestic terminal has an area of about 99,000 sq ft. On the other hand, the international airport is about 380,000 sq ft in area.
- Most of the flights go to middle east countries and South east Asia.
- A visa-on-arrival facility is provided for passengers of 11 countries.
- There are spacious lounges.
- There are three baggage carousels.
- ATM and currency exchange booths are located inside the airport.
- At the international terminal, you will find shops operated by Flamingo. There are book shops in the domestic terminal.
- Free local calls can be made from the domestic terminal.
Nearby Hotels: Akhil Classic, The South Park, Uday Suites – The Garden Hotel, Hotel SPS Kingsway, Fortune Hotel, Greenfield Inn and Hotel Highland
The four international airports are of a high standard. They are running both international and domestic flights. These airports testify that Kerala is a hub of all kinds of commercial and tourism activities.